Why get an appraisal?
To insure your collection
- Protect yourself against damage or loss due to theft or disaster.
- With an appraisal you won’t buy too much or too little protection.
To donate to a museum or other non-profit organization
- Claim your donation on your taxes and get a deduction.
- Most museums require an appraisal before accepting a donation.
To know how much your art is worth before you sell it
- Get the full value of your art; don’t get ripped off.
For estate taxes or estate planning
- When an estate passes from one entity to another, the government requires a value of the entire estate, including artwork, for tax purposes.
- For estate planning, to divide your estate in the exact manner you wish, you need to know the current value of what it is you want to divide.